MCPS and Walt Whitman High School are excited to announce that registration for Spring Sports will open on Monday, March 22nd! Registration will close Thursday, April 15th. We look forward to providing a safe and structured atmosphere for our student athletes and coaches. All participation is voluntary for student athletes and coaches. The first day of tryouts will be Saturday April 17th for most teams.
How to Register
Students must be registered by a parent through the MCPS ParentVue Portal. More information regarding the registration process can be found in this letter from MCPS and the steps outlined below.
Steps for Registering via ParentVue
- Login to MCPS ParentVue Portal
- Locate “Online Registration” in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
- You should then see prompts to enter information for the “2020-2021 HS Athletics Registration – Spring”.
If you see something for “Annual Verification” or “Resume Annual Registration”, please click the “Start Over” button, logout and log back in, this should then allow you to access the Athletic Registration.
- The Athletics Registration screens will have you verify information in the system and then allow you to review and complete the Athletics Registration forms.
If any of the information appearing on the “Family” or “Parent/Guardian” information screens is incorrect, please contact the School Registrar to have this corrected before completing your registration.
ParentVue Troubleshooting Information
If a parent is having trouble logging into the MCPS ParentVue Portal:
- If you have never activated your parent account:
Parents were sent activation information at the beginning of the school year, which included an Activation Key. If you still have this information, use it to activate your parent account. If you do not have the activation information, email Walt Whitman school registrar Shannon Steward@mcpsmd.org . Be sure to include the student name, ID and parent name in the email. You can also call the Main Office at Whitman at 240-740-4800 during normal office hours.
- Forgot your password? Click on the Forgot Password link on the ParentVue Portal.
- Forgot the email address you used to activate your account? Email Walt Whitman school registrar Shannon Steward@mcpsmd.org . Be sure to include the student name, ID and parent name in the email.
Students should complete their pre-participation physical (MCPS Form SR-8) so that the medical eligibility form and COVID pre-participation form (last two pages of SR-8) is ready for online submission or for submission to the coach prior to tryouts/practices. Physicals are valid for one calendar year. Note: This is a change from the policy during the virtual engagement in the first semester. At that time, physicals were valid for two years. A partial list of Clinics that offer Sports Physicals within the Montgomery County area is available online, including the Care for Kids program through Montgomery County. Physicals can be uploaded by the parent during the registration process. However, if a parent needs to submit a physical after the student has already been registered, email an electronic copy of the pre-participation physical (MCPS Form SR-8) to Whitman Athletic Director Andy Wetzel . Do NOT drop forms off at school or send them to the coach.
What adjustments will be made to operations based on COVID-19?
The following resources are available for students and parents/guardians regarding the operations of the MCPS athletics program. All documents, information, and guidance are subject to change, based on the ever-changing dynamics of COVID-19.
- Second Semester Plan – provides an overview of the second semester of operations
- Return to R.A.I.S.E. Strategic Plan – provides the operating procedures and protocol that will be used during the fall season. This is a fluid document and will be updated, as guidelines and recommendations change.
- Return to R.A.I.S.E. Video – this video provides an overview of the protocol and procedures in the Return to R.A.I.S.E. Strategic Plan. The video was filmed in late-October–guidelines and procedures may change, per state and local recommendations.
- COVID-19 Athletics Information Webpage – all information regarding the return of in-person programming is available here; updates will continue to be posted on this site.